Thanks much Alyssa. It would be really handy if one could search for sightings
by species right in the eBird app!

Mike Koutnik

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 5, 2021, at 11:49 AM, Alyssa DeRubeis <alderub...@gmail.com> wrote:

This email describes how to use eBird to query recent sightings for a specific
site and/or species.

The quickest way to learn the most up-to-date status of Snowy Owl sightings is
to check eBird submissions. The reason is that birders can submit these while
they are in the field, as opposed to us waiting for them to reply to this email
thread. This is assuming that all birders submitting eBird checklists are also
on this list-serve, which is not true. Hence, eBird is much more efficient in
learning these kinds of data. The MOU seasonal report database can also be used
(https://moumn.org/avian/query.php), but observers are not required to be more
specific than the county level. So the precise location and time may remain a
mystery. I am also not sure if there is a way for birders to enter data live,
like you can on the eBird app.

There are a couple ways to search for recent reports. You can look at the “most
recently seen” at the MSP Aircraft Viewing Area, Cargo Rd hotspot here:
https://ebird.org/hotspot/L6861720. There are technically three hotspots at the
MSP airport, but this one is the most regularly used it would seem. The last
sighting was from yesterday.

Another way is to go to Explore, then click on Explore Species tab:
https://ebird.org/map. You can type in Snowy Owl and then zoom in to where
they’ve been seen at the airport. An advantage to using this route is that you
can see that, for example, 13 birders reported Snowy Owl at the airport
yesterday. You can also see sightings outside of Hotspots (although hotspots
are always encouraged over personal spots, if a hotspot already exists for this
site. In this case, it does.) This winter season, 9 individual locations were
plotted with eBird checklists at the airport. (You can narrow it down to
season/year(s) using the filter options.)

Now you can see all the Snowy Owl data you could have ever possibly wanted!
eBird boasts a wealth of information and is accessible to anyone, so please
take a gander. Enjoy,

Alyssa DeRubeis
Montreal, Canada