Hi Nina,

Sandhill Cranes are ground nesters and will fake an injury to lure you away
from their nest or young.

If you go back out there to assist this bird, be very careful. They go for
the eyes with that dagger-like bill. People have been several injured
trying to help a bird that sometimes didn't need help.

Curt