Hi all - I wanted to let you know about a Bell Museum program that might of
interest to Minnesota birding community. We are staging an expedition-style
program to show how scientific specimens are prepared, preserved, and used for
research. We will be training students and doing dissections outside on the
Bell’s Learning Landscape Terrace from July 6-16. Many of the specimens we will
be working on are from the Bird-Safe Project. All are welcome to stop by, watch
dissections, ask questions, and learn more about the importance of natural
history collections.

Best,
Sushma

https://www.bellmuseum.umn.edu/expeditions-to-the-bell/

Expeditions to the Bell
Join scientists and students on an expedition at the Bell!

During July 6–16, we invite you to join us on the Bell’s Terrace to observe and
ask questions about the process of measuring, cataloging, and preparing natural
history specimens!
In an expedition-style set up outside of the museum, students from our
internship pilot program and scientists will work together to demonstrate how
scientific collections are created. Visitors will be able to watch live
dissections as the team works together to take various data, preserve different
types of samples, and produce specimens for the Bell Museum natural history
collections, an active research institution utilized by scientists around the
world.
Visitors to natural history museums encounter biodiversity specimens that offer
close-up views of nature. Their awe is often followed by questions about where
and how specimens were obtained. Even more shocking to visitors is that the
specimens on display are a small percentage of the holdings of a museum
collection. The Bell aims to address some of these questions of why museums
have specimens and how they are obtained, preserved, and used.
Read more on our blog!

Sushma