Hello MOU members and MOU-net subscribers,

We’re almost halfway through our $5,000 Savaloja Fund Challenge, with a
little over a month to go before the Paper Session on December 4. Donors
really stepped up since the last update, and I’m happy to report that our
current total is over the halfway point at 2,985! Let’s keep up the
momentum as we look ahead to the finish line, so please, if you’re thinking
of donating and haven’t done so yet, do so today:

https://givemn.org/story/Savaloja

The Savaloja Fund was established in 1993. Twenty-eight years later, we’ve
learned some pretty important information critical to our understanding of
Minnesota’s birds and their populations, and we’re continuing to learn
more. We know what conditions are necessary to support healthy populations
of Red-headed Woodpeckers and Purple Martins in the state. We know that
certain parasites have been implicated as a significant cause of mortality
for some birds. We know that Barn Owls appear to be staging an impressive
comeback in Minnesota nearly three decades after they disappeared. With the
advent of the Motus network and related transmitter technology, we’re
learning where our birds come from and where they go outside Minnesota. As
we continue to ask questions about our birds, the Savaloja Fund remains a
significant source of funding studies like these so that we continue to
find answers.

Remember that if you’d rather send a check, please send it to our physical
address below and make it out to Minnesota Ornithologists’ Union, including
“Savaloja” in the memo line:

Minnesota Ornithologists’ Union

Carpenter Nature Center

12805 Saint Croix Trail South

Hastings, MN 55033

Your donations help make important research possible. Thanks for your
support!

Bob Dunlap, Past President