Hi Judith,

You may want to read this nice article by Jim Willams in the Star Tribune
earlier this week. He talks explicitly about this behavior.

https://m.startribune.com/migrating-blue-jays-pay-a-visit-to-a-minnesota-backyard/600110098/

Best, Mike Koutnik

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 4, 2021, at 5:43 PM, Judith Clayton <judit...@theriver.com> wrote:

I’m wondering how common it is for birds to caching food?
   Currently, I’m offering peanuts in the shell to Blue Jays.  Their usual
behavior is to pick up a peanut in the shell and fly off with it:  often to the
White Spruce trees in my back yard.  I can’t say that I’ve actually seen them
caching a peanut, but I wonder.  I think that I’ve seen crows caching seeds
from my feeders rather close distance from the feeders.  Also, do pelagic birds
or other birds cache food?  Just now I’m thinking about the “butcher bird” or
Shrikes.
   I’m looking forward to your comments.  TIA  Judy in Douglas county,
Alexandria, Mn

Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished
   Lao Tzu