In early February I noticed my first observation of common redpolls eating
suet that did not contain seeds of any type. At first it seemed to be a
single bird, then a few, and has gained in popularity to where they are
mobbing the suet ball today. Others in NE MN are reporting the same. It
should be noted that reports of hundreds of redpolls at a single seed feeder
are not unusual in the last week or so. I've not found anywhere, including
in the authoritative Birds of the World species' account, that mentions suet
as a food item. I'd like to document the extent of this behavior. To that
end, I would appreciate receiving any reports on common redpolls eating
non-seed-containing suet this winter, or in past winters, for that matter.
If you noted any dates, please include them. Even approximations of when the
behavior was first noted, numbers, and how the behavior progressed - or
didn't - as time went on would be much appreciated. And of course the
location. Replying to me individually is fine.

Footnote: I just had two feeding on peanuts, which I've also not seen
before, but peanuts are not so far afield from their supposed winter diet
limited to vegetable matter.

Thanks!

Steve Wilson

Tower, MN