I am once again writing to request your help and record Mourning Warbler songs
from spring migrants.  It is year 8 of my research using birdsong to study
migratory connectivity of Mourning Warbler song populations.  Here is a link to
the latest map with previous years’ results based on recordings from over 150
birders.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?hl=en&mid=1voXjBhvHZ0nwAv93_OBC_vCPuxQ&ll=38.892516009880424%2C-85.09712735&z=5

There is also a link to a spring 2017 National Audubon Society story on this
research.

Audubon Society reporting
http://www.audubon.org/magazine/spring-2017/this-guy-mapping-how-warblers-migrate-just

These preliminary results continue to suggest moderate to low connectivity
during migration with Western breeders separating from the rest of the other
song populations.  Eastern, Nova Scotia and Newfoundland song populations
travel together along the Appalachian Mountains at least into Maine with some
birds heading to the Atlantic Coast beginning in Maryland, Delaware and New
Jersey.

All you need is a smartphone with a voice recording app and some luck.  Videos
with recordings are also helpful.  The web page link below describes the
project and how to make recordings on your Smartphone in more detail.   Please
send song recordings to the Mourning Warbler Sound Lab (jpitocch AT
anselm.edu).

https://mowasongmapper.weebly.com/

I would really appreciate your help and contributions this year to this
Citizens Science Project.

Dr. Jay Pitocchelli
Professor Emeritus, Biology Department
Saint Anselm College