(Posted by Janet C. Green <jgr...@d.umn.edu> via moumn.org)

Weather event of snow, sleet, fog, freezing rain led to a massive reverse
migration low and
close to shore of Lake Superior at London Rd. 40th Ave. E.   Estimate of at
least 10, 000
birds per hour from morning thru afternoon.  It was too low to be picked up by
the radar at
the Duluth Airport at the top of the hill.  We watched from our apartment
(Ecumen
Lakeshore) which sits close to the Lake, and the flow of birds past our large
picture
windows, going from east to west into the fog, was mesmerizing.

We (John, Martha - daughter) guessed about 50 to 100,000 total for the day.
Species were
mostly blackbirds (Rusty BB and grackles dominate), finches, sparrows, robins,
flickers,
warblers (YRWA), other passerines.  Identification when one bird would perch
momentarily
in small tree at the water's edge.  I have been living and birding the North
Shore since the
1960's, and seen lots of reverse migration in the spring but never before at
this magnitude.

Jan Green