This is awesome. My daughter and I were out at the Lilly Preserve Sunday
morning and also recorded over 30 species, though a dozen or so different
than your list. For instance, no red-headed. But we did see a scarlet
tanager.

Mike Koutnik

On Tue, May 14, 2024 at 12:35 PM linda whyte <
0000004e7b0e779a-dmarc-requ...@lists.umn.edu> wrote:

> At Rachel Lilly Preserve this morning, a Red-headed Woodpecker was scouting
> the recently burned main prairie, to the delight of the St. Paul Audubon
> group I was leading. Originally, it was spotted in the oak trees on the
> west side of the stream before flying off. At that point the walk was due
> to end, so many folks headed back toward the cars, but a few stuck with me,
> in hopes of better views and also an actual look at the vociferous but
> elusive Brown Thrasher. The lingering birders were not disappointed on
> either count.
> Heading south parallel to the stream with the greening prairie on our west,
> we were treated to repeated performances of the Red-Headed
> Woodpecker's survey. It flew from one isolated shrub  to another, seeming
> to glean food from the slender trunks. Between trees, it would drop briefly
> into the growing grasses; we couldn't have asked for more or better views.
> Apparently, the recent burn made the habitat worth at least a visit by the
> species, so kudos to Dodge Nature Center and its volunteers.
> As for the Brown Thrasher, we did finally see it, on the south side of the
> main prairie, bordering the north side of the lake. It flew from upper
> canopy down into shrubs on the hillside, where it was joined by another,
> possibly a mate. Meanwhile, we had seen more waterfowl from the lake dock,
> which had Wood Ducks, as well as Blue-winged Teal.
> As with the Baltimore Oriole, Rose-breasted Grosbeak, Tennessee Warbler,
> and Common Yellowthroat, the Thrasher was only briefly viewed, though often
> heard. More cooperative species included Indigo Bunting, Olive-sided
> Flycatcher, Eastern Wood Pewee, Eastern Kingbird, Eastern Bluebird,
> American Redstart, Tree Swallow, Chipping Sparrow, Song Sparrow, Gray
> Catbird, Ruby-throated Hummingbird, and Wild Turkey. There were flyovers by
> Bald Eagle, Broad-winged Hawk, Green Heron and, for the last few birders,
> American Pelican. Some species were heard only, like Eastern Phoebe, Yellow
> and Chestnut-sided Warblers, Nashville and Tennessee Warblers, and Red-eyed
> Vireo.
> There were other, more common and expected, species noted as well, bringing
> the species total to over 30. Thanks to the great group of birders, who
> made this hike so productive and fun !
> Linda Whyte
>
> ----
> General information and guidelines for posting:
> https://moumn.org/listservice.html

Mike Koutnik
Mobile: 612-963-5551
m.a.kout...@gmail.com