On 18/01/12 10:20, Khadija EL MAHRSI wrote:
Hi,
Before I start going into the details of the Beernet package, I decided to ask first wheteher it could be useful for me or not. I'm planning to work on a project with migrating agents (in which I transfer agents from one site to another whenever I like) and was wondering if this package can be useful for the migration part. If not, should I use the Global Store package instead? Or maybe is agents' migration possible without using either?

Thanks.

Beernet is a scalable peer-to-peer transactional store: all the nodes share the work and use redundancy for fault tolerance. Beernet self organizes to adapt to changes: it allows new nodes to join dynamically to increase performance (elasticity) and supports old nodes leaving or failing. It's completely decentralized, so theoretically it can walk over the Internet like a big blob by adding new nodes where it wants to go and removing nodes where it is coming from. But it was not designed for this purpose, so it is not optimized for this kind of behavior: adding new nodes is not so fast since the internal routing tables have to reorganize themselves and some of the data on the old nodes will be moved to the new nodes (to maintain redundancy).

Beernet is the Ph.D. work of Boris Mejias. Boris told me he will help people who want to use Beernet in applications by fixing bugs and making new releases. Note that Beernet completely subsumes the old Global Store package, which is no longer maintained. It is not recommended to use the Global Store.

If you want to implement migration, I suggest that you install running Mozart processes on the nodes where you want to migrate to. That way, migration will only need to move the state of the migrating agents between existing processes, and it will be much faster.

Peter