Thanks for everyone's help so far. You guys don't have to debug my .emacs file for me :)
I installed Aquamacs and it works ok, except for this problem

http://www.mozart-oz.org/pipermail/mozart-users/2005/013848.html

that prevents C-x backquote from working. What is the trick to making that work?

And if there is anyone in the universe who has ever gotten XEmacs on X11 with Mac OS X to work, I want to be your friend.

best,
-john

PS my .emacs just loads init.el and custom.el. Custom merely sets a few variables whereas init.el prepares for various programming environments: standard ML, CaML, Haskell, R, Prolog, etc... The "Emacs Speaks Statistics" package fails to load with the Apple- supplied emacs 21.2.1 because it lives in an xemacs-packages directory not on the GNU Emacs load-path.