Arshad Noor wrote:

In the real world, we trust the Secretary of State (at least,
in the US) to "authenticate" businesses.  They are the only
ones authorized to issue "Certificates of Inforporation" that
legitimizes a US business.  (Similar agencies perform such
functions in other countries, to the best of my knowledge).

Nice idea in theory, but everything works in theory, however the icann issue at present is the crux of the internet trust debate, other governments don't trust the US govt to screw them, and vice versa, I don't think I'd be willing to trust most governments on the matter of being CAs... or any for that matter...

--

Best regards,
 Duane

http://happysnapper.com.au - Sell your photos over the net!
http://e164.org - Using Enum.164 to interconnect asterisk servers

"In the long run the pessimist may be proved right,
    but the optimist has a better time on the trip."