Hi Romeel,

First, please avoid using upper case urgent in the title of
your messages, everyone has urgent issues.

Romeel a écrit :
I believe this to be a
dns resolver problem, because when the DC is configured with the DNS
server
service and client service running, the service never starts. It
always
returns the same error. Now i wrote a simple client console app using
the Microsoft wldap32.lib library. I bind to the directory and make
the same call with ldap_search_s. The result, it works fine. Why
doesn't the netscape ldap library cope with dns properly. My dns is
setup fine, i actually have 2 dc's which are both dns servers. I read
on another thread it could be to do with a referal being returned by
AD which is not understood. The only way
i can get round this problem is to turn off the DNS services on my DC.
This
is not good, as AD relies on DNS to be installed and working. It seems
the
dns suffix of test.com can't be handled by netscape ldap library. If
anyone knows the solution to this problem it will be much appreciated

The fact that the Microsoft library is able to acces your directory
does not prove that everything is fine. I noticed that windows has
some strange algorithm when it comes to name resolution. It seems to
switch from DNS to WINS depending on who knows what...

As you identified some name resolution issue, can you
explicitly desactivate referrals on the client side ?
I would also suggest temporarily adding the short and full
DNS names of the server in the hosts file.

I recently faced a case when an Active Directory was sending
referrals to itself... still don't understand why :-(