So one last related question.  I read in the Sun Directory SDK that
LDAPSSLSocketWrapFactory class doesn't support certificate-based client
authentication, and also that the LDAPSSLSocketFactory class can only
do certificate-based authentication inside the browser (i.e. as an
applet).

So what does this leave for developers wanting to do the
certificate-based authentication in a stand-alone java app?  I'm
guessing we have to write our own class that implements
LDAPSocketFactory, but I know nothing (as evidenced by my previous
posts) about SSL and exchanging of certificates.  Is the API really
missing this significant piece of functionality, or am I missing
something here?

Mike