Richard Fleming wrote:

>> Most contributions would probably be welcomed, but if you
>> want to help, you're going to have to be very much
>> "self-starting" (also self-managing, and you'll have to
>> prompt people to review/use your documentation). What kind
>> of documentation do you want to write?  Were you thinking
>> of code documentation? Writing for the Mozilla user help
>> system? Check bugzilla for bugs in the documentation area
>> and see if you could help with any of them.
>
> Well, I've also received an email from the owner of the Help
> Systems module. It appears that there are no documentation
> writers for Mozilla. All of them once working for Netscape,
> but no longer. Sad really.
>
> What I was hoping to contribute to was the core user
> documentation for Mozilla. Since light has been shed that
> there are no tech writers of any kind (at least on Mozilla),
> depending on the situation it might appear that a
> documentation module would have to be started up to address
> all of the documentation issues for all of the mozilla.org
> products.

There is a documentation module (at least in bugzilla). You may
want to take a look at
http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/buglist.cgi?product=Documentation&bug_status=unconfirmed,new,assigned,reopened

Grab yourself a few and work on them :-)

> A core documentation team is created.  Their responsibility
> is for creating style sheets, keeping glossaries of terms,
> and in general things that are common across all platforms
> and all product streams.
>
> Using these guidelines created by the core group, individual
> product streams emerge for released versions of Camino,
> Mozilla, Firebird, Thunderbird, etc.  This way, all
> documentation has the same look, the same feel as the rest,
> making it easier for sys admins, and end users alike to read
> the different product docs.

In my experience with a volunteer projects it is probably best
to work on a prototype first and then ask others for help and
contributions. Without that people will focus too much on
administrative stuff instead of real documentation.

> I don't know if mozilla has a marketing dept., but if so, the
> two would have to work together on issues of trademarks, and
> other corporate branding issues.

Yes, we have a marketing module, but as I said before: Work on a
prototype first and then talk with some marketing people. It will
help you focus on the real important tasks first.

--
Simon Paquet

http://sipaq.blogspot.com - Simon's Mozilla Blog