I've been trying to figure out a sane way to allow embeddors to do the "force windows to open in tabs" stuff that Firefox hacked in at some point.

The current state of things is described at http://wiki.mozilla.org/DocShell:Window_targeting and what I think we want to do is at <http://wiki.mozilla.org/DocShell:Window_targeting#Proposed_Changes>.

I was wondering what people think of the suggestion. I'm not sure whether a service is the right way to go or whether this is something that should live on the docshell tree owner... in particular, if we do a service-like thing then the callee will need to get from the nsIDOMWindow or nsIWebNavigation we pass in (one for some subframe) to something that would usefully allow them to open a tab in the same browser window, which might be nontrivial while sticking to frozen interfaces.

Thoughts?

-Boris