I have noticed before that Mozilla likes to be run once as root on
initial install. But except for some bad nightly builds I haven't had
your problem.

I would suggest downloading the .gz version unpacking it into it's
mozilla directory then placing that somewhere like /usr/local/mozilla
and point your launcher icon at this parallel installation.

It's all contained in one directory so you don't gain much from the
package management system.

This probably will leave you with issues with the html viewer in
Nautilus which I have even with a working install of .9 (debian unstable).

Adam
adam in the domain devtty.net