let me tell you exactly what i did:
rh7.1 (updated)
mozilla 0.9.2
latest ximian gnome.

i tried using the jre.xpi, unzipping it and making a link in my plugins
folder.  however, it was buggy and slow (it's not even a jre1.3 release).

SO, i downloaded the jre 1.3 from sun, installed that and linked it up,
and it was buggy and caused crashes.
SO, i downloaded the jre 1.3.1 from sun, installed that and everything
works great.

go to http://www.sun.com and download the linux jre 1.3.1

look for a mozilla directory in /usr/lib (if you installed from RPMS).
you might have several mozilla's in there depending on what you've
installed and how.  you will have to figure out which mozilla is the
correct one.  the latest mozilla RPMS for 0.9.2 uses the plain mozilla
directory.
if you've installed from Ximian RPMS, then you might see a mozilla-0.9.1
directory as well (or ones like it).

install the jre 1.3.1 from sun (just run the binary, and it will blow open).
now, in the /usr/lib/mozilla/plugin directory, you need to create a link.

ln -s /usr/java/jre1.3.1/plugin/i386/ns600/libjavaplugin_oji.so
libjavaplugin_oji.so
(if you installed the jre in /usr/java)

when you restart mozilla, type "about:plugins" in the address bar.  you
should see a bunch of java stuff in there.  if you don't,
then you probably put the link in the wrong mozilla directory.

good luck!
Ron McKown