gavin long wrote:
 > > Read here http://mpt.phrasewise.com/stories/storyReader$35
 > > Interesting reading about the lack of usability in Mozilla. At least
 > > I agree with the author.

They backed out non-full non-screen non-mode.  Maybe drop that one a few
places, and change the link from bug 109593 back to bug 68138, which
seems to be going places again.

Excellent, excellent article, though.  Critical, but very constructive.
  All the right issues, all the right reasons.  From someone who clearly
cares and contributes a lot (unlike trolls whose names I will not utter
here).

Anyone who's listening, you need more people like this.  Usability is
the number one problem.  After 18 months I've half given up on Moz
despite recent speed improvements, due to usability problems.  I check
in every couple of months to see if it's catching up (if anyone's
listening to MPT).

Usability is the holy grail.  It's the point.

Blake Ross wrote:
 > a UI
 > design component in Bugzilla encourages bugzilla as a tool for
 > discussing ui changes, which is what we actively *dis*courage. We would
 > prefer such discussions happen in the newsgroups (or another, better
 > suited forum) and then be brought over to the bug database once a
 > decision has been reached.

I can appreciate that Bugzilla is not the place.  The problem with
choosing "another, better suited forum" for UI issues is that there
isn't one.  These newsgroups are definitely not it - they're appalling.

JTK's banal drone means that people with coding skill & project
influence have to turn their criticism filter up too high.  Then the
High Techies see important requests for UI improvements as "geared
towards technical users".  Whenever they say this, the reverse is true
almost every time.

Problem is, they treat these newsgroups as a representative UI forum,
and get reinforced by the remainder of the posts: Low Techies & Fans
giving "well I think it's lovely that it does the opposite to other
browsers" encouragement.

Which is nice, but not representative.  Low Techies & Fans are
inherently resistant to the important UI annoyances by having the
patience to work with Moz in the first place.  They are the kind of
people who are willing to copy plugins around manually, they edit
prefs.js & the TheOtherOne.js by hand and without documentation (and can
tell the difference), and are happy to lose their settings every so often.

What's needed is good UI people dedicated to the task.  Like MPT.  They
might know how to edit prefs.js by hand, but more importantly they know
when they shouldn't have to.

 > A better model for quick, non-contentious UI advice is keeping
 > the bug assigned to an engineer and cc'ing strong UI folks for their two
 > cents.

I guess I'm just saying - give strong UI folks two dollars, not two cents.

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]