It is nytimes trying to sneak past all popup blockers. They are using an
image to fire the onload event that shows the popup and the popup is
written in via document.writes. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but
IIRC Mozilla only blocks window.open during the body onload and
onunload, and it looks for window.open's.