In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Dan Howard wrote:
> I'm running 0.9.9 at home (on Win98SE) and at work (on WinNT 4.0).
> At home, if I enter "cnn" in the URL field and press enter, Mozilla adds
> in the "http://www."; and ".com" as it has all along (I'm a lazy typist).
> At work, I get the following error message:
>
> Error 400 - Proxy Error: Host name not recognized or host not found -
> URL http://cnn/.
>
> Is this because of the different OS?  The proxy server at work?  Some
> setting I haven't found?

it's because of the proxy server, and that's how it's supposed to work.

at home, mozilla tries to connect to a host called "cnn", finds that it
doesn't exist, and then tries adding the www. and the .com

at work, mozilla connects to the proxy and asks it for "cnn". if it's not
found, it gets the page back from the proxy saying "error", if it is
found, it gets a real page back from the proxy.  mozilla isn't in a
position to interpret what happened beyond the proxy ("error 400" could
mean a whole bunch of different things - although in your case the proxy
does describe the error in english as a "host not found", that's not
standard and not all proxies are as specific), so it doesn't try adding
bits to the URL.

if you particularly wanted to be able to bring up cnn with just "cnn",
you could add a bookmark for the cnn site, and give it a keyword of "cnn"
http://www.mozilla.org/docs/end-user/keywords.html

--
michael