As other people have explained in this newsgroup, prefs.js is written
every time Mozilla closes.
You have to put your user_pref's in user.js; this is read after prefs.js
the next time Mozilla opens and overrides prefs.js entries (sometimes).
I've had mixed results with user.js; some things you hope will work don't.
Phil