On 21/09/2001 at 14:34 Ben Bucksch wrote:

>Simon P. Lucy wrote:
>
>>I have said that the only way to use the source is to remove the GPL/LGPL
>language.  But its not the binary that matters, you have to make sure for
>all uses.  This effectively still means that I'm estopped from
>contributing back because I can't licence using the GPL.
>>
>Why not? I can understand that you fear to *use* the GPL in your
>projects, but why do you fear to *release* your work under GPL, too?

Because, I don't want to maintain forks of code, I don't want to have to isolate work
which is licenced under the GPL just to contribute it back and run the risk of making
a mistake, over thousands of files, which means a GPL licenced file connects with
anything else I have, some of which may not belong to me at all.

>If you want, you can use 2 sets of source: One you get from mozilla.org
>and you do changes there. If you contribute back, you create patches there.
>
>When you compile, you first remove the dual license part. Of course, the
>precompiler already does that :), so I'd just skip it and compile normally.
>
>>I thought that was the case.  I believe its a mistake not to pursue
>deliberate violations of source licencing,
>>
>Well, you can do so. If you have code in the mozilla.org sourse, you
>have the right to sue, I think.
>
>Of course, I don't think, it's a good idea to sue them, as all they want
>to do is have fun and help the world.

The intent doesn't matter, I'm sure that if I took some GPL piece of source used it
with something else proprietary that I'd be laying myself open to attack.  The GPL
licence is exactly the same as a proprietary licence.

>>re-licencing to regularise a breach is plain cowardice and a breach of
>confidence with original contributors.
>>
>It's not cowardice, it's what mozilla.org wants. It wants to be used in
>projects like Galeon or, say, CrystalSpace (which might want to use XPCOM).

Fine, nothing matters other than getting people to use things, of course doing it the
right way doesn't seem to occur to anyone, a typical attitude with this project and
with Open Source, Free Source in general. (And no I don't mean your attitude :-))

Simon