Michael Lyubomirskiy wrote:

please help a newbie with understanding MPL.

n.p.m.license is a better newsgroup for this. Setting follow-ups there.

I have understood that if I
modify source code of one of the components of Mozilla, I need to release
the source.

That's not necessarily true. You need to make the source available to anyone you make a binary version available to.

Now the question is, what constitutes modifying a component and
what constitutes making a new component.

This is clearly defined in the license itself in section 1.9 (definition of "Modifications").

I would guess that if I write some
lines of code in a source file given in distribution, that consitutes
modification. Now, suppose I write an additional file with more
functionality, such as for the Gecko rendering engine, and modify the
existing files to invoke procedures I have written in a new file. Obviously,
I must then release the original file with all the extra calls. But how
about the new file? Does this then constitute a unique new addition which I
can keep close source, or is this still a modification of Gecko engine as a
whole that must be released?

It depends. If you copied any existing MPLed code into your new file, it's a Modification. If you didn't, it's not.

Gerv