I have some comments about this request, but I'm not sure inside the bug is the best place. Anyway the bug is about implementing some things that have been discussed here recently.

I'm not convinced by the "let's add another warning" side of this bug.
Especially when I see the reporter suggesting to put it inside a pop-up dialog.

Dialog have proven until now they don't work, so why would this one by any different ?

It works well for SSH, because you decide what machine you connect too, and you keep connecting to the same set of machines, so when that dialog pops up, it rings a bell. Also the population of SSH users is *not* *exactly* the general population.

Now the problem about SSL is that in most cases, you don't choose where you do an ssl connection, when you want to buy something, it's the sellers who chooses the secure site, same for entering password, etc...

So in that case, when the seller tells you "go to that site for the transaction", what use will be the warning ? Users will get used to seeing regularly that annoying warning, and to click through it or ignore it.

Sometimes they will click on a link expecting that link to lead to a site they trust because they know it well, and there it's important to have the message, but how does the browser know *when* that happens ?
Because if it outputs this warning too often, people will stop reacting to it.
And will the average user react appropriately ? : "Why the hell is Firefox telling me it's the first time I go to ebay.com, they really have a bug !"