The article is essentially correct.  From what I've seen, Firefox is
only slightly more secure than MSIE, and much of that is due to the fact
that it does not support ActiveX components.  I've always taken for
granted that the browser would not be truly secure, as that would
require a rigor in coding and a preoccupation with security that clearly
doesn't exist with Firefox.

I use Firefox rather than MSIE today mainly because it seems to be
slightly more conformant to many standards and because it offers
slightly less opportunity to execute foreign code on my machine (and
thus is less likely to transmit viruses).  There isn't enough
granularity in the security controls, though (I should be able to turn
things on and off on a site-by-site or category-by-category basis, and I
can't), and I expect security to get worse, not better, as features are
added to the browser to make it more attractive.  (I know that the
features will use code that won't be written or tested adequately.)

--
Anthony