On Thu, 28 Sep 2000, Robert Hegemann wrote:

> > will
> > >
> > > it will crash, and it does so on my old P100.
> >

> > That's bad. Would it be possible to compile both routines in the same
> > binaries, with an auto detection?
>
>       Hmm, you may dig in the Gogo sources. If I remember right
>       they allowed to turn on optimizations with something like
>       --use-mmx. This could be a way to do it in LAME too.

Surely Gabriel was referring to the MMX code always being present in the
binary. On an non-MMX CPU it would fall back to using the old non-MMX
code. Thus never executing an illegal instruction. Isn't this how
commercial applications handle it? Of course if this is a lot of work, for
little gain, then forgive me :)
  Cheers.

Mark Powell - UNIX System Administrator - The University of Salford
Academic Information Services, Clifford Whitworth Building,
Salford University, Manchester, M5 4WT, UK.
Tel: +44 161 295 5936  Fax: +44 161 295 5888  www.pgp.com for PGP key