On Sun, 22 Jul 2007, Dayan Handapangoda wrote:
>  When i tried to use ./configure for MPB, the following error message
> appeared. I've installed g77, do i need to install f77 as well to
> proceed with MPB installation? I'm quite new to this, someone help me
> please...
>
> checking for g77... g77
> checking for Fortran 77 compiler default output... configure: error: Fortran
> 77 compiler cannot create executables

Your g77 installation is broken.  You can look in config.log to see what
the exact error message was when it tried to invoke g77.  However, if
you've messed up g77 installation this badly, I'm guessing you've probably
hosed your whole system beyond your ability to repair it.  You'd be much
better off installing Debian GNU/Linux, in which you can just type
'apt-get install mpb' and it will install everything for you.  Installing
software from source requires a bit more understanding of Unix.

Steven