ian,

i was doing a lot of supercell calculations last year - at 3d
supercell sizes  large enough to capture the disorder, and reasonable
enough resolution to accurately capture the orientation of your
particles, you are going to run up against the memory limit very
quickly.

to give you a rough data point, i was calculating states just above
the 8th band of the inverse opal structure (plain old spheres, mind
you) - i used a 3 x 3 x 3 supercell and set resolution = 16 and
num-bands = 217 (since 216 = 8 * 3^3).  this calculation used just
over 1 GB of memory; i was running this on computers with 2GB of
memory each, which is is the maximum addressable memory if you're
using a 32 bit os.  in reality you are limited to less because of
operating system overhead, etc.

you might be able to gain something here (factor of 1/2?) by using the
inversion symmetry flag at compile time, but even so, you will have a
real hard time getting to a larger supercell before you start using
too much memory, and the whole thing screeches to a crawl due to
constant page faults.

redefining your basis vectors doesn't gain you anything, because the
actual periodicity of the crystal is still the same.  i think all this
will do is rescale the "freqs" output by some constant factor, which
you will then have to divide back out eventually anyway.

you could possibly get larger supercells running in parallel on a
shared-memory system, but again the memory requirements scale like n^3
so even then you'll run out very quickly.

so, i see a couple of options for you:

1)  try to get the target-freq function to work.  this has been
discussed previously on this list, and i have never had good luck in
getting it to converge, but reducing the number of bands you are
calculating to a reasonable number is a good thing to be able to do.

2)  use a shell script (or perl, or whatever your language of choice
is) to auto-generate a bunch of .ctl files that have reasonably-sized
structures with a newly randomized orientation at each iteration.  run
all of these in sequence (or in batch, if you have multiple computers)
and apply some statistical techniques to make sense of the output.

i would probably do #2.

good luck!

nate