On Jul 14, 2009, at 11:08 AM, Alexandre Besnier wrote:

Good morning,

I'm a student and I work currently on your software Mpb, I try to make a rectangular lattice of 0.204µm x 0.561µm size, and I would like to understand units give by band diagram.

On your wiki pages you say that frequency is given in c/a unit, but I don't understand several things : - In band diagram, if I obtain frequency = 1, that say a=c, ie a=3.10^8 meters ?

No, it means that frequency = 1 (c/a). Since frequency = c / lambda, this means that

        c/lambda = 1 (c/a)

and thus

        lambda = a

Put another way, the frequency in MPB's units is exactly the same as a/ lambda (where lambda = vacuum wavelength).

- Normally, "a" is the lattice period, but with rectangular lattice, I have two periods, so what is "a" compared with my two periods ?

"a" is whatever unit of distance you want; it doesn't have to have anything to do with the lattice constant(s).

You are perfectly free to use a=1um, for example, and then specify the size of your computation cell as 0.204 x 0.561, and give all distance units in microns. In this case the frequencies returned by MPB are equivalent to 1/(lambda in microns).

- In the page "Mpb User Tutorial/A few words on units", you say at the last paragraph : "Thus, the corresponding vacuum wavelength is a over the frequency eigenvalue." It is not "Thus, the corresponding vacuum wavelength is c over the frequency eigenvalue." ? Because frequency * lambda = c ?

See above.  This is a consequence of using c/a units of frequency.

| Finally, if I would like to have frequency in Hz, what I have to do to convert it ?

Multiply Meep's units by c/a in SI units.

Steven