I think the closest thing (or maybe the easiest) for doing that is
changing the value of the variable called epsilon-input-file with the
following instruction (set! epsilon-input-file "SomeHDF5FileName").
With this you can specify the default material, and thus the matrix
you are referring by generating externally an HDF5 file. Unfortunately
you can only specify the effective permitivitty, so it doesn't work
with anisotropic media.

2012/1/19 Pablo F. Damasceno <damas...@umich.edu>:
> As far as I understand, MPB uses the shapes constructed by the user (set!
> geometry) to fill the matrix containing all the pixels to be simulated with
> the correct value of dielectric constant.
>
> Does anybody know if it is possible to have access to this matrix and
> specify the values of dielectric constants directly, so to create more
> general shapes than spheres, cubes, etc?
>
> Thanks.
> PFD

ISE Rafael González García