Hi,
I'm a newbie trying to learn from the book "Photonic Crystals" 2nd ed.
(a True Masterpiece!).  I have a simple question about how to interpret
isofrequency diagrams like Fig. 14 & 15 of Chapter 10 (p. 222-225).

I expect that I can get the ordinary (reflective) Bragg condition:

2d cos(theta) = n lambda, [d = interplane distance = sqrt(2) * a etc]

that is, if I fix the contour (omega = constant) and scan the incident angle
(i.e., the dashed line in Fig. 14 Right), there should be a specific angle
which satisfies the above condition and therefore gives a strong reflective
peak (the opal color).

I understand that the selected contour value in Fig. 14R (0.276) may be
too low for the Bragg condition (we need a higher band), but nevertheless,
I guess there must be a way to see such a general phenomenon via
something similar to Fig. 14 (and the related discussion in the text).

But I cannot see how to get this condition by looking at the isofrequency
diagram or band contour plot.  Could someone help me out?  I'd appreciate
it very much.

Thanks!