[The following is the text of 9th Ward Council Member Kathy Thurber's
withdrawal letter to DFL delegates. Again, all typos are mine. - David
Brauer, list manager]

Dear Delegate:

I have had the honor of serving the public for almost twelve years - one
term on the Park Board, and two as 9th Ward City Council Member. Those years
included the most challenging and violent time in Minneapolis history and I
was part of the team that brought an end to those troubles. But beyond
fighting the negatives, I also sewed the seeds for the positive
revitalization that we're now just beginning to enjoy, especially in the
areas of housing and commercial development, and of course, the wonderful
Midtown YWCA.

I have a gift for bringing people together in fair and open debate, to solve
common problems and build a better future for everyone. I've done it over
and over in every 9th Ward neighborhood, block after block, in homes and
church basements. I've used my talents on behalf of the community to bring
about systemic change in the criminal justice and social service systems.
I've worked with every level of government and with the private sector to
bring together resources for everything from the YWCA to ten years of the
'City Children's Nutcracker."

I'd be lying if I said I loved every minute of it. Elected office can be
exhausting and mean, and It's hard on one's family and friends. Even so,
I've loved the people I represents the work we've done together and the many
"miracles" we've been able to accomplish I've felt I was absolutely in the
right place at the right time in my life and the life of my community, But,
I can't say that anymore.

This current campaign, which began over a year ago, is not an open public
debate about solving common problems, and it's certainly not about bringing
people together. It's an internal DFL fight aimed at a long, divisive, and
increasingly dirty battle. For months I've spent what time I could, working
to undo the effects of a nasty whisper campaign. Neither opponent has ever
stepped forward to challenge me face-to-face, or work with me on
neighborhood projects.

It's a fact that my record for building and preserving affordable housing is
one of the best on the Council; and, my leadership in pulling together the
Housing Works Coalition of housing advocates and officials from throughout
Minnesota has been substantial and unprecedented. Together, we are lobbying
for a solution a comprehensive $322 million State appropriation for
affordable housing.

When faced with votes on major downtown development projects, my first
concern has always been the well-being of the neighborhoods. The projects
I've supported will help our neighborhoods by increasing the pool of money
available for the Neighborhood Revitalization Plan. What my opponents don't
understand is that Tax Increment Financing funds the NRP. It's that simple.

The downtown Target store will be an asset to the tax base and the job base
of Minneapolis That building alone can be a major contributor to NRP Phase
3, in a few years. "Downtown v. the neighborhoods" is a hollow campaign
slogan. We would be foolish not to want both a thriving downtown and healthy
neighborhoods.

Furthermore, Tax Increment Financing is a tool neighborhood activists should
be fighting to preserve. It's under assault by Republicans in the
Legislature just when it's becoming useful outside of downtown. Without TIF,
the Coliseum development at 27th & Lake would have been impossible, and
we'll likely need TIF for commercial corridors and mixed-use development in
the years ahead. My opponents don't understand this.

The 9th Ward is better off than it was when I took office. I've worked with
wonderful neighborhood people and organizations. Many of my colleagues in
elected office and some excellent staff who work for the City of Minneapolis
have helped me got the resources into the 9th Ward where they were needed,
and when they were needed most. For their sakes, I've tried to carry on and
fight the good fight; but this campaign isn't a good fight. It's destroying
relationships and undermining the good will I have worked so hard to build
in our neighborhoods. Simply put, it's not my kind of politics. I bring
people together

I'm proud of my service and what I have accomplished, but I am unwilling to
put myself, my family, and my friends through a long and mean-spirited
campaign. I've decided to move on, and not to seek reelection. I will
continue to serve the people of the 9th Ward well throughout the rest of my
term, and I will find new ways to be of service and contribute to this great
City.

Sincerely,
Kathy