The DFL convention is just 11 days away, and as a delegate, I still need
help choosing who I will support for library, park, and school boards. (By
the way, thanks to Gary Schiff for posting the Patrick Peterson school board
candidacy stuff here...he is on candidate directory at
http://www.e-democracy.org/mpls/2001.htm)

This is a plea to all members to contribute what they know about the
candidates, recommendations, insights, questions, etc.

To try to jumpstart the discussion, I'll throw out one question for
candidates on each of the three boards. Candidates: please answer to the
list - and please feel free to talk about your other positions as need be.
We need to know! (Also, other party candidates are encouraged to answer,
too.)

For library board candidates:

The library implementation task force just announced their plan for the new
downtown library. What do you support, or not, in that plan at this point,
and why?

For park board candidates:

The park board has been ripped by infighting and personality conflicts.
While you can only do so much to control the behavior of your colleagues,
how would you stop this rift?

For school board candidates (sorry, this one is parochial):

What steps will you support to close the "Open Area 38" problem, in which
most of Kingfield and E. Harriet lack a community school?  For example, do
you support building an elementary school in the area, changing an area
magnet to a community school, giving parents "enhanced" preference at other
south/southwest schools, changing the attendance boundaries of a current
community school, or by some other means?

And since we so rarely say so, thanks to all the candidates for running and
working hard in public service.

David Brauer
King Field - Ward 10