I would hope that the school board candidates really would be
the ones to answer this question, but maybe it's too hot for
many of them to handle.  Since, as most of you know I rarely
shy away from controversy, I thought that I'd add a fresh
perspective.

> 1. Do you accept the segregated state of the Minneapolis public system
> as acceptable given the alternatives and the support for the community
> school model?

It's time that people begin to admit that forced integration has failed
to provide quality education for minority students.  More than twenty
years of experience has shown that and the numbers are clear.  Parents
should be free to send they children to whatever public school they think
would be best for them, but the general solution is deceptively simple.
We need to improve the quality of education in all neighborhoods.
While this may not be possible to accomplish across all grade levels,
it is possible to initiate across the board from the bottom up, if we are
willing to change our assumptions about educating children.

> 2. If not, what policies would you advocate as a school board member to
> reduce/eliminate class/race segregation in school populations?

The assumption that separate was inherently unequal was based on
research which as since been qualified in a number of ways.  I believe
that we should not be offended by schools that reflect the ethnicity
of their neighborhoods as long as students achieve at the same levels
across economic classes.

> 3. If so, what must be done to reduce the correlation between
> poor-performing schools and schools with high percentages of poor
> students?

How can I take such a radical position?  Because twenty-five years of
research has shown that intensive preschool programs can equalize
the performance of young children.  What the research also shows
is that when children leave such programs and enter normal public
school classes their performance eventually degrades to normative levels.
When expectations for children are high and they are provided with quality
instruction the impact of poverty is lessened.

There are some other changes that much be made.  For instance,
research at the U of M shows that many poor students change
schools frequently, however this problem can be reduced by
initiating a lock-step curriculum in the metro area.  Also, there are
a number of successful parent involvement programs that should
reviewed and then implemented here.

It can be done.  It just takes someone with vision, who is given
sufficient funding and power to make the necessary changes;
with power being the most important factor.  I have other
proposals and ideas, but I think I have covered the most
important points.  For more information see:
http://www.edtrust.org/

Michael Atherton
Prospect Park