>List members...and lawsuits?...in the news:
>http://www.citypages.com/databank/22/1093/article9941.asp

>From the article:

Citing unidentified sources, Strand--who backed Cherryhomes's Green
Party-endorsed opponent Natalie Johnson Lee--claimed that F. Clayton Tyler,
Cherryhomes's husband, was both part owner of a downtown sauna and attorney
for the notorious Evans Brothers prostitution ring.

========================
EY:  I asked some of the Johnson Lee supporters at the RT victory party
about these stories.  The supporters insisted that Tyler's ownership of
this sauna was a matter of public record.  It would be easy enough for a
reporter to dig up the public records to settle this one way or another.
David Strand did quickly retract this statement -- and appologised several
times on the list.  I know from being active in campaigns -- that word of
mouth rumors are a big part of campaigning.

This raises a question for me though -- how much responsibility do list
members have with fact checking?  Is there going to be a suit against List
member, David Strand -- or is this just intimidation tactics from
Cherryhomes trying to shut down criticism.

The article continues:

In an e-mail the next day, Cherryhomes tersely denounced Strand's post as
"a bold-faced lie."
======================================
EY:  Yup, that was the email Linda Higgins forwarded to the list.

The article continues:
Tyler, meanwhile, called Strand and demanded an immediate retraction and
apology. "I am truly sorry for sharing misinformation and furthering
hearsay," Strand posted to the newsgroup, blaming his misstep on "bad
rumors being bandied about in this part of ward 5." That satisfied neither
Cherryhomes nor Tyler, who responded, "We don't consider [Strand's] reply
to be either a retraction or an apology." Whereupon Strand returned to his
keyboard and offered his "utmost apologies" three more times.
EY:  I was confused by that email -- whether Cherryhomes or Tyler wrote it
was unclear.  I thought it rather wierd that the City of Minneapolis email
was used for this also.

The article continues:

Under normal circumstances, such abject groveling might have spelled the
end of the matter. But Cherryhomes subsequently found herself on the
receiving end of one of the election's most shocking upsets: a defeat, by a
mere 72 votes, at the hands of Johnson Lee.

In a brief e-mail in response to questions posed for this story,
Cherryhomes wrote: "I believe the rumors could have had an effect on the
election. I would prefer that you speak with my husband about potential
legal action."

Says Tyler: "I'm currently talking with an attorney and will probably be
instituting a suit in connection with this. It's one thing to go after
somebody on their record, on what they've done and what they've said. It's
another to willingly disseminate lies. I'm not gonna take that lightly." He
adds that he has also asked city election officials to look into possible
voting irregularities in his wife's ward.

EY:  The question is whether Strand knew these were lies when he sent the
email to the list.  Strand did immediately appologise -- and appoligize and
appologize.

Louis King posted a while back that "fear rules" in the 5th ward.
Certainly Cherryhomes and Tyler were using pretty heavy handed fear
inducing tactics to get Strand to retract his statements -- which he did.

This whole thing reminds me of the way Bush dealt with the GWBush.com
parody site -- he tried to shut the site down -- and in the process managed
to give the site all sorts of publicity -- for many months, the GWBush.com
site got more web hits than the official George W Bush site.

Eva
Eva Young
Central