--- Audrey wrote:
"At the end of the special session, at 3 am in a
closed
conference meeting, we lost $5 million in integration
aid, money that was helping with the cost of the NAACP
settlement. That's gone."

Speaking of gone, a few years ago, Gary Suddeth, who
was then President of the Urban League publicly asked
the district to account for millions (I believe it was
100 mil, but have forgotten the exact number) that the
district recieved to close the "racial gap" in
academic achievement.

I never did see the district's answer, can you explain
Audry?

[Audry]"If you have friends or relatives who live in
the outer ring suburbs tell them how this public
education bashing is hurting the future of the entire
state.  We can appropriately fund education or we can
spend billions more in the long term on prisons."

So an infusion of cash is all that is needed? How much
cash? $10 million? $100 million? $1 Billion?

What if the district recieved it's every wish. What if
money was no object? Would that work?

In fact that's been tried.

To improve the education of black students and
encourage desegregation, a federal judge invited the
Kansas City, Missouri, School District to come up with
a cost-is-no-object educational plan and ordered local
and state taxpayers to find the money to pay for it.

Kansas City spent as much as $11,700 per pupil--more
money per pupil, on a cost of living adjusted basis,
than any other of the 280 largest districts in the
country.

The money bought higher teachers' salaries, 15 new
schools, and such amenities as an Olympic-sized
swimming pool with an underwater viewing room,
television and animation studios, a robotics lab, a
25-acre wildlife sanctuary, a zoo, a model United
Nations with simultaneous translation capability, and
field trips to Mexico and Senegal.

The student-teacher ratio was 12 or 13 to 1, the
lowest of any major school district in the country.

To entice white students to come to Kansas City, the
district had set aside $900,000 for advertising,
including TV ads, brochures, and videocassettes.

If a suburban student needed a ride, Kansas City had a
special $6.4 million transportation budget for busing.
If the student didn't live on a bus route, the
district would send a taxi.

Students could take courses in garment design,
ceramics, and Suzuki violin. The computer magnet at
Central High had 900 interconnected computers, one for
every student in the school.

In the performing arts school, students studied
ballet, drama, and theater production. They absorbed
their physics from Russian-born teachers, and
elementary grade students learned French from native
speakers recruited from Quebec, Belgium, and Cameroon.

With some 600 employees for a district of 36,000
students, the KCMSD had a central administration that
was three to five times larger than the
administrations of other comparably sized public
school districts.

It was also 150 times larger than the administration
of the city's Catholic school system, in which four
people; one superintendent, two assistant
superintendents, and a part-time marketing manager ran
a school district of 14,000 students.

It didn't work.

When the judge, in March 1997, finally agreed to let
the state stop making desegregation payments to the
district after 1999, there was little to show for all
the money spent.

Although the students enjoyed perhaps the best school
facilities in the country, the percentage of black
students in the largely black district had continued
to increase, the average black student's reading
skills increased by only 1.1 grade equivalents in four
years of high school, and the black-white achievement
gap was unchanged.

It is my opinion that until the parents of the
children who are struggling in school take an active
interest in their own kids, no amount of money is
going to "fix the system".

Until the administrators are willing to take
responsibility for the academic achievement, or lack
thereof, no amount of money is going to "fix the
system".

Until the many fine teachers who do know the
difference between a job and a profession throw off
the burden of the unions that tie unworthy collegues
and political hacks around thier (and our) ankles, no
amount of money is going to "fix the system".

Until the public system rids itself of political
special interests, of every stripe, who put idealogy
ahead of academics, no amount of money is going to
"fix the system".

My purpose here is not to "bash" the public schools,
indeed my family and I have as much at stake as anyone
else. It is very easy to demonize the authors of
opposing views, but as has been posited on this forum
many times, critical examiation of an issue leads to
clearer understanding by all parties involved.

Thomas Swift
Saint Paul
[EMAIL PROTECTED]