A few more thoughts following the excellent posts earlier today on the
police behavior at Critical Mass on Friday.

Minneapolis Critical Mass is just one of hundreds of Critical Mass bike
rides that occur across the country and internationally--in Australia,
Europe and many places around the globe.  What this is all about is a
bunch of people concerned about the impacts cars are having on our
society and environment.  So they try to take action to raise awareness
about the impacts of cars and the positive alternative of biking.  They
have what should be just a fun monthly get-together to ride in a large
group around the city.  When they become a large enough group (a
"critical mass") they basically take over the street for a few minutes
as the mass passes along from place to place. Sure the ride is a little
boisterous at times, but it is also very peaceful and respectful.

What is the harm?  Maybe a few commuters in their cars get delayed five
or ten minutes.  Does this deserve much police attention at all, much
less the brutal violent suppression of the ride?  I've been delayed in
my car, riding the bus, and on my bike many times during traffic jams
(mostly involving one person per one big SUV) on streets and freeways
near downtown Minneapolis but I don't see the police coming out and
attacking those commuters.  Nor do I see them attacking those coming out
of the Target Center or Metrodome and (illegally) blocking traffic after
a sporting event.  So what is the big deal about Critical Mass?

It basically relates to the paranoia that has been running through the
FBI and police departments across the country over "anarchists" and
direct action ever since the WTO demonstrations in Seattle in 1999.
Much of this paranoid police response is unwilling or unable to
distinguish between the concept of peaceful protest (that, yes, may
inconvenience a few people for a few minutes at times and break a few
technicalities of traffic law) and violent insurrection.

And from where does the Minneapolis Police Department get its mandate to
make this a priority?  I don't think it is from the vast majority of the
citizens of Minneapolis or even our current elected officials.  They are
instead responding to the information they are getting at national
police conferences, exchanges with other police departments, training
videos, and from the FBI and other federal security agencies obsessed
about putting a stop to any expression of direct action by young people
and with little or no concern over our constitutional rights to freedom
of expression and assembly.

This raises the question: to whom is the Minneapolis Police Department
really accountable?  The citizens of Minneapolis and their elected
officials?  Or something else?

Bruce Shoemaker
Holland Neighborhood
Northeast Minneapolis