Mark Snyder asks:
On an unrelated note, does anyone else wonder how a relatively small
publication like the City Pages can manage to maintain such an extensive
(and freely available) archive (as can the Minnesota Daily, for that matter)
that goes back several years while the Strib and PiPress find it necessary
to charge for access to archives older than a few weeks?  What's up with
that?

Steve Brandt:
  I don't know the answer to Mark's question, but I do know that one can pull up Star
Tribune articles for free at Minneapolis public libraries, or at least one could the
last time I checked.  I suspect that the answer is related to the fact that one can
get a paper copy of City Pages for free, and needs to pay for paper copies of the Star
Tribune or Pioneer Press.  Since all three publications are intended to be
profitmaking, one assumes that City Pages has enough ad revenue to cover all costs,
while the Pioneer Press and Star Tribune depend on both ad revenue and paid
subscriptions.  I'm always willing to handle limited requests for an electronic copy
of a past article from readers, particularly anyone who feels they must choose between
a database charge or buying groceries.

Steve Brandt
Star Tribune graybeard