Mississippi Corridor Neighborhood Coalition
Plans 9th Annual River Clean-up and Celebration
with Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board

 For more information
 Randy Kouri, 612-788-0249

 The 9th Annual Mississippi Corridor Neighborhood Coalition (MCNC) River
Clean-up and Celebration will be held on Saturday, June 1, 2002, at 9:00
a.m., with headquarters at Boom Island.

Pick-up points include Boom Island, Camden Boat Launch, Edgewater Park
(Lowry & Marshall), North Mississippi Regional Park, Broadway Station
(Broadway & West River Road), Federal Reserve Bank, Bassett Creek: Cedar
Lake Rd & Chestnut (4 blocks so of Glenwood), Stone Arch Bridge (east end),
Cedar Riverside: 4th St So. & West River Road, and De La Salle High School
(Nicollet Island).

  "We are finding that some areas are not as trashy as they were ten years
ago, so we know our clean-up has made a difference," says Randy Kouri, MCNC
president.

 At noon, volunteers will gather at Boom Island to trade trash stories, add
up the pounds of trash collected, win door prizes and eat free food donated
by area businesses. Entertainment will be provided by Ronald McDonald, Bill
Hinckley and Judy Larsen, Lonesome Dan Kase and Paul Metsa.

 The DNR's Minnaqua Program will feature a fishing clinic for children from
noon to 4 p.m. The University Raptor Center will bring an eagle and other
birds of prey, and Jill Ocel of Animal Productions will provide a closer
look at some exotic species. "I am excited about the birds of prey," says
Brooklyn Center resident Amy Luesebrink. "Residents from the suburbs also
want more habitat protection along the river and to see more eagles and
other critters return to the river."

 The City of Minneapolis will set up its WaterShed Exhibit Tent, which is an
interactive program that includes environmental education and ways in which
people connect to the river.

 Other participants include the Northeast Royalty, National Park Service
Passport program, Minneapolis Library Bookmobile, Minnesota Department of
Health-Environmental Health, Hennepin Sheriff's Water Patrol, Minneapolis
Police K-9 Unit and Tree Trust Tree Clinic.

 A special tree planting in memory of Frank Hillmeyer will take place at
12:30 p.m. at Boom Island. Frank is the late husband of Patty Hillmeyer,
former Park Commissioner, who was instrumental in establishing Boom Island
Park. Frank and Patty were regulars at the MCNC river clean-ups.

 MCNC's clean-up is affiliated with the Department of Natural Resources
Adopt-A-River program. More than 50 businesses, individuals and agencies
have donated goods and services or in-kind contributions. It is the hundreds
of volunteers who show up each year who make it a success.

MCNC welcomes people of all ages to this great family event to show how much
we appreciate our great natural resource, the Mighty Mississippi. The goal
of MCNC's river clean-up is to bring people to the river, have people leave
with a better appreciation of our Great River and acquire more knowledge
about how to protect it.

Fran Guminga
Bottineau