--- Fredric Markus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> This helps explain why there isn't a property
> ownership stipulation in
> our country's constitution. If only people with
> serious money can have
> gardens, then perhaps only people with serious money
> should have
> museums, schools, hospitals, parks, highways,
> armies, and so on, and the
> rest of us can move to Canada or jump off the
> nearest cliff.

This reminds me of an intriguing workshop I attended
in Philadelphia this past weekend on property tax
theory and praxis in context of the growing first
world land reform movement that has emerged out of
third world land reform movements.  Much of the
attention and focus on this movement began when none
other than Jesse Helms noted that the vast majority of
land and real estate value in the U.S. is held by a
far smaller percentage of private corporations and
individuals than in those countries activists were
advocating as cases for action and relief before the
foreign relations committee Helms chairs.

Harrisburg, PA was held up as an example of a city
that has flourished and experienced a renaissance in
development and restoration of properties based on the
application of "resource rents" theory to local
property taxation and Philadelphia is currently
considering adopting a similiar approach.

I'm not sure to what degree the city of Minneapolis
controls the allocation of millage rates when it comes
to the proportion on land value vs. buildings and
other property improvements.  This form of taxation
was noted for encouraging infill development and
property improvements particularly in depressed
neighborhoods while simultaneously increasing market
development of affordable housing and shifting the tax
burden on to those with a greater ability to pay.

With the recent report on the decline in the quality
of Mpls. housing stock that was recently noted here,
perhaps such a change to the local property taxation
system that doesn't punish homeowners as much for
doing improvements to their properties would help
encourage more investment in property upkeep and
property improvements.  The nonprofit that hosted the
workshop will do a study on behalf of any municipality
that wants to look at what a shift would look like for
free at the request of one city council person.

If anyone is interested in knowing more, email me
offline and I'll say if I can dig out my notes and
materials from the workshop and provide with web
contact information and resources related to this.
I'm not sure that this system would be implementable
in Mpls. or not under state law.  I also question the
way such a change would impact the use of tax
increment financing and the city's debts related to
tif.  Still, I thought it was an interesting
alternative to the history of demolotion of depressed
and problem properties in the city.  If a tweaking of
our property tax system leads to many marginal
properties having market driven nonsubsidized
improvements and restoration, it could be very
worthwhile.

David Strand
Loring Park