I would agree to this idea, however with all the construction going on in the downtown
area, adding more spaces is not really a viable suggestion, nor are the conditions of
the roads.

If there were available street space, then I can see this idea working, another
suggestion would be to open up parking in the parking lots and allow the handicap park
for free, but it would have to be agreed upon by the lot management and building
owners.

Wasn't there something in the new handicap access laws about this, I could be way off
the mark to begin with...

---- Begin Included Message ----

Thanks to David Brauer and the city's web site, I've now read the
proposed Parking Meter Management Plan
(http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/council/2002-meetings/20020726/docs/16_
Parking_Meter_Mgmt_Plan.pdf).

I think continuing to let people with disabilities park for free but
enforcing the meter's actual time limit is the best solution to this
part of the parking problem (unless a person can demonstrate that there
are no other viable parking options in close proximity to work -- in
which case they could park all day). The plan currently proposes
allowing up to 4 hours of parking at a one- or two-hour meter, but that
seems almost as easy to get around as the current regulation.

What seems to be missing altogether from the plan is any effort to
increase the number of on-street spaces in downtown's core.
Councilmember Lisa Goodman once posted to Mpls Issues that the city has
tried to identify new parking spaces and I have no reason to doubt her,
but I wonder if the city shouldn't take a fresh look at it and make
adding spaces a priority as part of this meter management plan.

I'm always struck by the high percentage of downtown curb space where
you CAN'T park. Loading zones (approved by the council and paid for by
property owners or businesses) eat up at least 1/2-block of curb space
on most blocks of the "Avenues" and there are virtually no meters on 4th
through 10th "Streets" between Hennepin and 5th Avenue (in part because
of all the garage entrances).

As part of the city's cost/benefit analysis of this plan, I'd like to
see:
1. if it makes sense to eliminate some loading zones and replace them
with metered parking; and
2. if there are streets currently with little or no parking (6th, 8th,
10th) where non-rush hour parking could be added along both sides of the
street.

There are obvious trade-offs to these suggestions, but I think more
on-street parking makes for a more livable downtown (added convenience
for visitors, buffer for pedestrians, etc.) and that is more important
than moving traffic as quickly as possible or encountering the
occasional double-parked delivery truck.

Just a thought.

John Rocker
Calhoun

---- End Included Message ----