A fellow listmember sent me a note with the current numbers.  I was using
numbers that I read in the Pioneer Press last December.

If the goal is to produce high quality results in a cost effective manner,
it seems to me that the U of M could encourage its Education and Social
Sciences students to teach kids to read and write English - for course
credit of course.

That way, at no additional cost, the children could hit the road running.
It must be terribly frustrating to sit in a class without the foggiest
notion about what's being said.  It is also frustrating for the kids who do
speak English.  Valuable time and progress are sacrificed when the teacher
continually stops and repeats the same information over and over.  How is
the teacher to know if her lesson has been imparted?

I have been at public meetings that should take 40 minutes, expanded to 4
hours to allow for translations.  In the end, no one really knows what was
said.  It's inefficient and very risky from a public policy standpoint.

Vicky Heller
Cedar-Riverside (Work)
North Oaks (Home)