Hello folks,

Not to detract from this rousing beat down of council members who did or did
not vote for the Iraq resolution, I thought I would direct your attention to
a Minneapolis Issue of tragic implications.

Recently, Clare Housing, a non-profit organization that builds affordable
housing for people living with HIV/AIDS, purchased the King of Clubs on
Central Avenue and Spring Street and the adjacent vacant lot (I believe that
is the cross street).  The intention of Clare Housing is to build a mixed
income living space, with some units designated for low income folks and
people living with HIV/AIDS. The building plan includes retail shopping
space as well as ample green space, all of which were key pieces to SAE
request for proposals. Two weeks ago, in an act of unmitigated bigotry, the
Saint Anthony East Neighborhood Association (through the vehicle of its
general membership) voted overwhelming to oppose the project.

At the meeting (and at a previous meeting), the membership gave reasons
ranging from not wanting "faggots" with HIV moving into the neighborhood to
concerns about a rise in the amount of trash and parking that this project
will certainly produce since there will be some low-income folks moving in.
Others were worried about their property values (although they agreed with
the project in theory...more of the not in my backyard syndrome). One
elderly woman even stood up to say that she would prefer a Wendy's in that
space because Wendy's provides "healthy" fast food not available at some
other places (such as baked potatos).

I am aware that Clare Housing has not been completely shut out. The MCDA and
the housing authority will make the final decisions on whether or not to
issue the permits allowing Clare Housing to build on the space. But, the
vote fell along lines of 82 to 9 against the project. It will take a tough
moral and ethical stand from Paul Ostrow to come down against this hate
filled act.

This entire situation again reminded me that not everyone is welcome in
Minneapolis. It is particularly disturbing that this took place in North
East Minneapolis, my childhood turf. I hope that Paul Ostrow will use his
better judgement and stand up for right instead of the bigotry and hate so
gleefully espoused by some of his constiuents. I also encourage the mayor
and other Council members who will be part of the decision-making process
surrounding the Clare Housing development project to back this well
financed, well planned, and much needed development project.