Richard is correct, "Who really cares" if religious institutions stay in
Minneapolis? Those Catholics and Lutherans, you know they own a lot of land
in very prime areas of Minneapolis also.  You know a little eminent domain
on their properties would create a lot of development opportunities?
Brighton, Brookfield, and Sherman could get their hands on some very
valuable Real Estate this way.  With a few million dollars in development
subsidies these mainstays of Minneapolis"Development Philosophy" could do
some real development. (if you could just "take it away from THEM".)

I have an idea, how about if we tax ALL religious institutions as if they
were businesses. After all, they usually are incorporated and we do have
"Separation of Church and State".  If they are truly separate then
Minneapolis, Hennepin County, and the State of Minnesota should be treating
them no different from other corporations. They tax Karate Schools, and
those have a philosophical base. I know some define eastern Martial Arts as
recreation and some as "mind control" for the weak minded, but don't
non-believers and some governors define religions and churches as the same?

Such statements while possibly true, are not sensitive to those who belong
to those particular religions, and Mr. Anderson's statement is not very
sensitive to another's religious institution either.. I wonder why we are so
willing to tolerate religious insensitivity, as long as it seems to be
directed at those "WASPY" type institutions? Also before the Brighton,
Sherman, and Brookfield start salivating at the idea of exacting further
such "tithing" from us, I want the readers to know all the suggestions in
the previous two paragraphs were meant as humor, not as serious suggestion.
Of course if you had told me we, (City of Minneapolis) would make such large
"offerings" in the past to these corporations, I would have thought you were
also kidding, but hey here we are.

Jim Graham,
Ventura Village