Sheldon Mains wrote:

> It is my understanding that much of this change (INCREASE) is because of
> the property tax law changes made at the legislature.  They (and I hold
> both the house and senate responsible) significantly reduced property
> taxes on commercial/industrial property.  They also said they reduced
> property taxes on rental residential property.  The same property tax
> funds have to be supplied somehow.  This means that homeowners pay
> more--much more.  It also turned out, at least for us, that there was NO
> reduction in the tax we pay on the duplex we own next door--the taxes on
> that property went up to.  So, if I'm right, don't blame the city--blame
> the legislature that has been bought by the business interests.

I believe that part of the justification for shifting taxes from the state
to the local level was that voters outside of the Metro area thought
that if we in the city wanted to fund projects like the NRP then we
should do so ourselves.  The chickens have indeed come home
to roost. Personally, I don't mind paying taxes.  However, I do object
to wasteful ineffective spending and pointless subsidies for businesses.

Michael Atherton
Prospect Park

_______________________________________

Minneapolis Issues Forum - A City-focused Civic Discussion - Mn E-Democracy
Post messages to: mailto:mpls@;mnforum.org
Subscribe, Unsubscribe, Digest, and more: http://e-democracy.org/mpls

Reply via email to