Annie Young is right on the mark regarding the demise of the Minneapolis
Awards. My fellow nominator and I were grousing about holding it at the
Convention Center rather than a park building, or at City Hall's new Council
Chambers or the City Hall lobby.

Maybe the Park Board could offer its new headquarters on the river as a
venue on a warm summer night.

How about holding it at different city locations each year and highlight
that particular community's volunteers along with the city-wide awardees?

How about Marshall Fields or Honeywell or Xcel Energy or the Chamber of
Commerce picking up the tab for some cookies and coffee and the mailings?
Most awardees would be happy with a certificarte in a folder, eliminating
the cost of a frame.

There are a lot of ways to keep the thing going with a little imagination
and some minimal corporate financing. As Annie said, we have already
substituted the dinners at International Market Square (which participants
paid for, anyway) for coffee and cookies.

What's next, eliminating 24 hour snowplowing? Oh, wait a minute . . .

Fran Guminga
Bottineau