Among the issues related to the current "Access
Project" is the fact that the project organizers are
admittedly trying to AVOID doing an EIS, or
Environmental Impact Statement.  Environmental Impact
Statements are of tremendous importance - they become
a tool by which the public can objectively evaluate
the project if they are well crafted, as well as a
possible guideline for future development plans.  I'm
sure that the process of completing an EIS is
cumbersome and time consuming, but if the project
organizers want us to take their claims seriously, and
if the "Access Project" really is the net gain they
claim it is, then they should be proud of the
opportunity to substantiate their claims through an
EIS.  I challenge the project organizers to embrace
the EIS process, and explain to us their reasons
and/or benefits of avoiding this federal requirement.

David Piehl
Central