Dean Carlson writes:
We went to our annual christmas downtown excursion tonight.  It was
pretty bleak.  Very few people, the Marshall Fields Christmas show was
lame, prices slashed everywhere (great for the wallet).  By far the most
disappointing experience downtown at Christmas ever.  Hope it was just a
bad night, not a trend.

Brandt:
For a historical contrast, take a look at one of the historical photos
on display on the Public Service Level of the Hennepin County Government
Center.  It shows Nicollet in front of Dayton's before Christmas in what
I think was the 1940s.  The sidewalks are absolutely jammed, even more
so than during a nice summer noon during a weekday nowadays.  There's
also a nice shot of what I assume is the Miller ballpark near Nicollet
and Lake.  It's amazing how much of the neighboring commercial
infrastrcuture has been lost since then.

Steve Brandt
Kingfield