Victoria Heller posts:
Our sister city, Austin, Texas, has a population of 685,000 and only 7
City
Council Members. Since we insist that everything in Minneapolis be
"proportionate" - we only
need 3, plus the Mayor.

Brandt: Or one could look on the bright side and consider that
Minneapolis used to have two council members for each ward.  So the
halving of representation that Victoria Heller seeks already has been
accomplished.  There were some advantages to the old system.  If one
alderman was indicted and convicted, as happened frequently in the
bribery scandals of the late 1920s, the ward wasn't left without
representation, except then-Third Ward (mostly today's Fifth) where both
aldermen were convicted.

Steve Brandt
Kingfield

TEMPORARY REMINDER:
1. Send all posts in plain-text format.
2. Cut as much of the post you're responding to as possible.